Return to California

Return to Home page


Breakers Beach Club

1926 USPC

1725 The Promenade (now: Ocean Front Walk)


Santa Monica, CA 90401

Delivered: Montags, Los Angeles, CA
                                                                  Old pics of (left to right): Breakers, Edgewater and Del Mar Club (CCDM)
In 1932 the Breakers became the Grand Hotel.  Pic below left is of Grand Hotel (along with Edgewater and CCDM) is circa 1950. Pic on right is late 1920s early 1930s.
The Seacastle (previously the Grand Hotel, previouasly the Breakers Club) was destroyed in the big earthquake in 1984 then was burned to the ground by unknown
people who were living in the condemned building. It was then rebuilt, but without all of the Art Deco ornaments.  It is now the Seacastle Apartments.
Below is ad ad from the LA Times for the Breakers Club from June 4, 1926.  Note that Jack Coogan, Mervyn Leroy,
Mack Sennett, Ronald Coleman, Damon Runyon & Al Jolson are members.  Recognize anyone else?

                                                                         A pic of a Breakers plate                                                                          Below is a pic of the Sea Castle